The 33 million adaptive reuse and restoration includes the historic 1886 brewhouse, adjacent bottling plant and courtyard on top of underground storage caverns. A series of terraced raingardens were designed to collect the majority of stromwater runoff. The entire outdoor spaces were covered with plants or with permeable paving material to reduce runoff. South facing courtyard is shaded by a bosque of specimen trees. Landscape elements such as crushed brick walk and hop covered arbor relate to the Brewery’s history and support modern day uses.
Client: Struever Bros. Eccles & Rouse and Humanium
Architect: Cho Benn Holback + Associates
Aard: American Institute of Architects, Maryland, Public Building of the year, 2009